The network of partners is changing so fast that traditional Electronic Data Interchange EDI integration, which typically takes 3 month to implement for each partner, cannot keep up with the pace of change.
To make things worse more and more partners will not supply a traditional EDI interface, but demand that all interaction with them is done on their B2B web portal.
Because of all the above, T&L companies are faced with an increasing amount of manual “copy-paste” processes between internal systems, Excel documents and external partner portals.
Here is a list of a few examples:
- For each truck passing into a country the load must be registered on the country’s custom portal.
- Monitor tracking information at a freight contractors web portal and manually synchronize it with the internal track and trace system.
- Extract tracking information from the internal system and type it into a customer portal.
- Bid on a freight by typing in quotes at a B2B freight market place portal.
- Offer out free capacity at freight market place portals.
- Synchronize customer information between IBM legacy systems, Excel files and external partner portals.
- Search for availability and buy ferry tickets.